Our simple goal is to get injured runners safely back into training, and to help prevent injuries from happening in the first place. With injury rates in a given year 34 to 65 percent for runners logging 20 plus miles per week, the focus on injury prevention is a must, and is the key to our program. Evaluations in the clinic include:
- Thorough history (previous injuries in runners have been shown to increase future injury risk by 3x).
- Discussion of runner's individual goals (could be anywhere from beginning runners hoping to run a 5K to high-level athletes looking for a marathon personal record).
- It is the runner's goals which tailor our evaluation and recommendations.
- Posture, strength and flexibility testing.
- Video motion analysis on the treadmill.
- We will review the runner's mechanics and correlate any abnormal findings with symptoms and/or injury risk. This comprehensive analysis looks at the entire runner head to toe.
- Prescribe an individualized exercise program to target any findings in the exam which increase injury risk or compromise training or performance.
- Shoe and/or orthotic recommendations, as necessary.
- Training recommendations.
- We like to communicate with coaches to optimally coordinate a program. Generally, details are left to the coaches, but we may give outlines regarding:
- Safely increasing mileage and intensity based on current injury and fitness.
- Incorporating cross training, if needed.
We bring the latest research in training and injury prevention to the running community. In addition to individual evaluations performed in the clinic, we also give educational presentations to teams and running groups.
For injured players, we accept most types of insurance.
For uninjured players, we have a self-pay option.
Back to Sports Medicine Services