For those patients who need to be admitted to the hospital for, during and after their surgeries, MedStar Harbor Hospital offers many services including:
- Acute pain management to aggressively treat postoperative pain with a variety of effective techniques.
- Surgical intensive care unit to meet the special needs of postoperative patients.
- Twenty-four hour in-house surgical coverage on standby for any unexpected surgical needs you may have after your procedure.
About Your Room
With the exception of the intensive care unit, patient rooms at MedStar Harbor Hospital are either semiprivate or private. The number of private rooms is limited, but we make every effort to honor your request depending on availability. Wireless internet, television and local telephone service are offered free of charge.
- Permitted Electrical Appliances
Small battery-powered devices, such as clocks, radios and cd players, are generally allowed. You are encouraged to use earphones with radios and cd players to avoid disturbing other patients or staff members. Most electric shavers, hair dryers and curling irons are permitted. All such devices must have a "UL" label, cannot have frayed cords and must remain unplugged when not in use.
- Prohibited Devices
Some devices may interfere with the operation of medical equipment, or a medication you are given may affect your ability to use an appliance safely, so they are not allowed. They include:
- Cellular phones — Due to the sensitive nature of some medical equipment, cellular phones are not permitted to be used in certain areas of the hospital
- Extension cords
- Heating devices of any type, including electric heating pads or blankets
- Household appliances, including coffee pots and coffee makers