What You Can Do About Diabetes
If you have diabetes, staying healthy-and preventing heart disease-starts with testing your blood sugar every day to make sure it is within your target range and, if instructed to do so, taking your medicine.
Other recommendations include:
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Follow a diet low in fat, salt and sugar, and high in fiber.
- Exercise on a regular basis.
- Aerobic activities are good for your heart and help your body work to lower your blood sugar.
- Listen to your doctor about other health problems, such as high blood pressure.
- Try to reduce stress in your life.
- Drink alcohol in moderation.
- No more than one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men.
Back to Diabetes